DR . Carolyn Mukai, ND
Dr. Carolyn Mukai, ND is a resident in the CNME accredited residency program at Tandem Clinic.
As someone who has personally struggled with Lyme disease, chronic illness, and effectively navigating the health care system, my goal as a naturopathic physician is to create a safe space so that my patients will be able to tell their whole story without the fear of being judged or rejected. I believe that my patients are the experts of their own health story and that the full story is key to getting to the root of complex chronic diseases. I want my patients to leave my office feeling heard, validated in their struggle, and hopeful for future wellness.
Dr. Carolyn Mukai, ND has a general naturopathic practice with a special interest in complex chronic disease, including Lyme disease and associated illnesses. Her main area of focus is investigating the underlying causes or contributors to chronic illnesses such as Lyme disease including infections, environmental exposures, and immune dysfunction.
Dr. Mukai has a deep fascination with the human body and how to optimize its function through targeted herbs, nutrients, diet, and lifestyle choices, specifically in the setting of chronic illness and infection. She considers herself to be a health detective, putting together the clues from a thorough health history to target the roots of chronic illnesses.
Dr. Mukai believes that the best health care is individualized, transparent, and sustainable for the patient. She views her role in health care as an advocate, facilitator and educator so that ultimately the patient becomes well equipped to dictate their own health decisions and outcomes.
Dr. Mukai has a special interest in treating complex chronic conditions including Lyme and associated tick borne diseases, non tick borne chronic or reactivated infections, environmentally acquired illnesses including mold and mycotoxin illness, and the commonly co-occurring immune system dysregulation and neurocognitive dysfunction.
This includes illnesses caused by:
- Bacteria (Borrelia spp, Bartonella, Erlichia/Anaplasma, Mycoplasma, and more)
- Viruses (EBV, CMV, HSV, HHV, VZV, and more)
- Parasites (Babesia and common intestinal parasites)
- Fungi (Moulds and mycotoxins)
And includes but is not limited to conditions like:
- Lyme and associated tick borne illness
- Multiple systemic infectious disease syndrome (MSIDS)
- Biotoxin illness and Chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS)
- Myalgic encephalitis (ME)/ Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Neurocognitive dysfunction and neurodegenerative conditions
- Mast cell dysfunction or mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Autoimmune conditions
Dr Mukai is licensed through the College of Naturopathic Physicians of BC (CNPBC ).
– Prescriptive Authority
– IV Therapy
Advanced Training and Continuing Education:
– International Lyme and Associated Diseases (ILADS) scientific conference: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
–Mold Literacy Training by Dr. Jill Crista ND